Citizens Initiative for Tsunami Victims
Appeal to contribute generously and appropriately to aid tsunami victims: Bangalore citizens initiative for tsunami victims
On December 26th 2004, tsunamis induced by a massive earthquake in the Indian ocean hit India among other countries in the South Asian and South-East Asian region.
In this time of crisis, in Bangalore, a network of voluntary organisations, colleges, student organisations, NGOs, etc. have come together to launch the CITIZENS INITIATIVE FOR TSUNAMI VICTIMS to develop collective efforts for mobilising relief material and money to help victims through credible contact points in the affected areas. A series of collection points for material and donations are also set up.
St. Joseph’s College of Arts and Science will be the main contact point for collection of material and donations.
- Who should volunteer
- How can you help
- Safexpress Courier extends free pick up and delivery for Tsunami Relief work
- Press Release (Dec 28, 2004) (Word Doc; 37KB)
- Tsunami Relief Bulletin (Dec 30, 2004) (Word Doc, 92KB)
- Tsunami Relief Bulletin (Jan 10, 2004) (Word Doc; 207KB)
(Please see this space for updates on the Relief work and requirements)
Media files containing updated newspaper clippings on the Tsunami disaster are now available. Click on the topics listed issuewise below
- Environmental and Geographical effects
- Impact on Projects
- Corruption and mismanagement of relief
- Coastal Regulatory Zone
- Natural Barriers
- Relief and Rehabilitation
- Systemic Failure
- Caste Barriers
The following material and donation collection points are set up:
- St. Joseph’s College of Arts and Science, Langford Road, Bangalore-27. Ph: 22272299, 22211429
- Environment Support Group ®, S-3, Rajashree Apartments, 18/57, 1st Main Road, S. R. K. Gardens, Jayanagar, Bannerghatta Road, Bangalore-41. Ph: 26534364, 26531339, 26341977. Email: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org; Web: www.esgindia.org
- Servelots, 3354, "Pankaja", KR Road, Bangalore-70. Email: email@example.com Ph: 26762963
- Pedestrian Pictures, Prakruti Mudrana, 52, 29th Cross, 9th Main, Banashankari II Stage, Bangalore - 70. Ph: 9448371389, 26713894
- Jaiva, 8, Hospital Road (Bowring), Behind Safina Plaza, Bangalore - 1.
Website to coordinate relief information has been set up at: http://www.indiatogether.org/relief/tsunami
- Fr. Ambrose Pinto, Principal, St. Joseph’s College of Arts and Science
- Srimathi Prasad, Citizen
- Donna Fernandes, Vimochana
- Leo F. Saldanha, Coordinator, Environment Support Group
ESG is an independent not-for-profit organisation that promotes the cause of environmental and social justice through research, documentation, advocacy, training and campaign support. We aim to support the rights of local communities and voiceless ecosystems in a responsible, progressive manner that keeps contextual complexities in mind.